Monday, March 19, 2012

I thought I would never do a blog!

Well I have given in and started a blog.  I never thought that I would do it but I have so many crazy ideas and projects that it is the easiest way to share them with all my friends and family.  Hopefully I will post on a regular basis but I make no guarantees.

So for today's crazy project I was cleaning my house and it came time to mop the floors.  Unfortunately I was out of the Swiffer WetJet pads and really, really did not want to go to the store.  So I started surfing Pinterest (one of my all time favorite sites) for ideas on making my own.  There are quiet a few posts on how to make them out of cloth baby diapers or towels or any old fabric you have lying around.  I however did not have any cloth baby diapers, old towels to cut up and was just to lazy to find other fabric that would be suitable.  So as I was folding my laundry and contemplating actually buying cloth diapers I came across some really old and stained washcloths.  And wouldn't you know it, they are almost the perfect size for the project!  So this is how I did mine.

I took my very old and stained wash cloth and folded it in half.
 Notice I folded it with the picture or right side out.  That way when you sew it and turn it inside out the picture is on the inside.

Next I sewed around the edge of the washcloth with about 1/4 inch seam.  I left about a 4 inch open area to turn it inside out.
Here it is turned inside out but not yet sewn closed yet.
Fold your edges in and sew closed.  You will be able to see this seam but it is just a mop pad :)

Next cut the soft side of your velcro to fit across your pad.  You will need 2 strips.  I put mine about 1 inch from the edge of my pad because my Swiffer has very large velcro strips and it didn't really matter.
Sew all the way around the velcro strips.  Don't forget to backstitch to make sure that it is secure.
And this is what it looks like actually stuck to Swiffer.  It isn't perfect and maybe an inch to short on the sides but it was free and only took me about 5 minutes to do.  After I finished mopping I just threw it in the wash.  Now I will not be spending any money the disposable pads and that makes me very happy!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogoshere! Great start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I've thought about doing that, but couldn't quite figure out the best way. Look at you, my amazing niece!

    ReplyDelete